Saturday, August 20, 2011

Rose at 6 weeks

Little Rose is in her bassinet. She is awake, just looking around. She was pretty adorable tonight so it was hard to put her in bed! She was cooing a little and looking into our eyes, giving us some smiles and listening to stories. Man, some of those childrens' books really make Raimo and I tear up. They are so sweet and sentimental. And we are pretty in love with our baby so any book about parent and child makes us lose it. Anyway, Rose has gotten pretty good about going to bed at night--no more bouncing and rocking her to sleep (only when her tummy aches at night). And she will sleep till 3:30 or even 5:30. She eats more in the day now to make up for it I guess. I feel like I am actually getting caught up on all those weeks without sleep. She still gets to join mom and dad in bed in the morning around 6 or 7 for snuggles and sometimes more sleeping. She is so cute in the mornings--she is most relaxed then. However, she howls when she gets strapped into the car seat and put in the car. She is only happy if she has just recently been fed and is able to fall asleep (so unlike the first few weeks where she would fall asleep instantly in the car!) I am hoping this changes before we embark on an 8 hour drive to California.

On Monday (the 15th) she rolled from her stomach to her back. Such a little thing and so momentous! Monday was also our last night in our apartment and by Tuesday we were living in Sandy with Raimo's parents. She napped pretty well those last few days that we were moving... thankfully! But I also had help from Monica and Tammy so I was able to get everything done. I am tired of moving. I was glad to be able to be settled again and give her some more attention.

Rose is seriously a good baby. While there are moments when parenthood seems very overwhelming (when she is crying very very loudly or when my body is so so tired), overall it has been an easy adjustment with Rose. From the beginning she ate every 3 hours like clockwork and slept pretty well. She was a very easy newborn, and, even as she is growing, has not been too colicky. And for me, it has been so much fun! I could hold her all day (and I do). It is like playing house, but the real thing and way better. And she is soo beautiful! Like a little china doll. At 6 weeks, she is a bit bigger than when she was born, but she is still pretty small. She has filled out in the cheeks and thighs a little, though she is still very long and lean for a baby--long fingers, toes, legs and arms. And she has a tiny little head and tiny face (about as long as my pinky) and tiny features. It is hard to tell that in the pictures, and she is prettier in real life. I wish I could capture it better so I can look back on it. Her eyes have changed and are sapphire blue--not really my eye color or Raimo's. We'll see if they change again.

Daddy sings Justin Bieber's "Baby" to her, substituting "baby, oh" for "baby Rose". I try to think of songs that have Rose in them, but all that comes to mind is "Moses supposes his toeses are Roses" so she's heard that a few times. Also "There Were Bells" has the line "and there were wonderful roses." I sing a lot of show tunes and love songs to her. Raimo sings "How do you like your eggs in the morning?..." and primary songs. She responds to our singing-- not to music from the radio or cds.

She is still in newborn diapers and newborn clothes, some 0-3 month. We just rotate outfits. I am guessing she is 7 pounds now and has probably grown an inch since the 2 week appointment. Her hair has grown slightly. It is still very sparse. She fits in her headbands now so she wears one every day! So fun!

2 comments:

G'ma said...

When Nancy was a baby there was a song
sung by Frankie Laine called Rose, Rose, I love you. (It was sung to an oriental girl by her sweetheart who
was sailing away.) There's also Rosie, You are My Posey; You are my heart's bouquet, etc.
xo
G'ma

shreevit2beaver said...

Glad you are doing well. Being a mommy is the best. I am in sandy too so if you ever want to get together or need a baby sitter let me know.
-Amy