Friday, September 20, 2013

Good Morning

I can never get enough of summer and am always sad when it comes to an end. But autumn is a pretty nice consolation. I always get up at 6, but the past few mornings have been so dark I've had to turn on the lights. That combined with the chill makes it feel cozy in the morning, like autumn in on its way. Of course the sun comes out eventually and burns off all the clouds and I wish for air conditioning. The holidays will be here before we know it. I'm not ready. I want to get a pumpkin spice candle and see some beautiful fall leaves.

I've been reading for fun lately. Sometimes I have a hard time concentrating and I just can't stick with it, but I must be in the right mood. Here are my latest reads:

Daughter of Fortune- Isabel Allende
I enjoyed this novel about a girl raised in Chile by British colonists. There are a lot of characters and stories woven into her search for her love, Joaquin, who took off to Califronia in the gold rush. It's long, but I enjoyed the writing style and flow of the book.

In Cuba I Was a German Shepherd- Ana Mendez
This was a book of short stories that I never finished reading for my Latin American Literature class ( I loved that class so much!) Each story is from the perspective of various Cuban men and women who immigrate to America to escape the reign of Fidel Castro. There is a juxtaposition of the old and new, of the new country and beautiful old Cuba, and of dreams versus reality. I enjoyed it.

The Shell Seekers- Rosamunde Pilcher
Talks about the different members of a family and their life stories. I'm still reading it, but so far so good. There are flashbacks to the mother's experience in World War 2 as a young woman, and of each of the children's experience as adults, and of their friends. There is a story woven throughout about a special painting by a deceased grandfather that has remained in the family and might be worth a lot of money. I love that it takes place in England and covers so many different eras.

Anna Karenina- Leo Tolstoy
This has been on my list for a while- I like to read a classic every so often, but it seems to take more time and a little more effort for me to finish. I'm just getting started.

That's about it. It's been nice being able to get absorbed in a book again. 

Rose woke me up at 3 last night and I couldn't get back to sleep. This trend has got to stop!

No comments: