Friday, March 28, 2014

Christmas in March

I love the hum of a dishwasher. It is a home-y sound to me. It feels like things are in their place, night is coming, time to relax in front if the tv and cuddle, or feed a sleepy baby one more time. The drone fills up the quiet spaces and it just feels comfortable.

I heard the song Away in a Manger as I was nursing Finn. It felt so fitting, and I think I will love that song a little more from now on. Christmas hymns are so holy and so perfect for a new baby. Maybe I should start singing them to Finn even though it's March. 

As I nurse him right now, he is looking up at me with his innocent eyes, forehead wrinkled up. Lay down his sweet head. His hands are hanging on to me and he stretches his toes in delight as if to say "milk!" No crying he makes. I love thee... Stay by thy cradle till morning is nigh. He's wearing only a diaper, so I can see his perfect skin and the folds on his back. Be near me Lord Jesus, I ask thee to stay close by me forever and love me I pray. Bless all the dear children in thy tender care and fit us for heaven to live with thee there. His eyes are so intent. I pause to burp him, kiss his shoulders and soft arms. The stars in the heavens look down. Yes, it is a holy thing. 

No comments: