Monday, April 20, 2009

Charles Dickens

I've started reading again for fun and right now I'm reading A Christmas Carol for the first time. Obviously it's a little different from the Mickey Mouse version--it's so English!

But along with all the extra u's as in "neighbouring" and "labour" and weird words like "misanthropic" and the capitalizing and personifying of words (like "Want is keenly felt" and "Abundance rejoices"), I am really enjoying his little morals for life. Although I don't think that good deeds are the sole factor for determining our place in the afterlife, his story makes me want to do more for the people around me.

Marley's ghost tells Scrooge, "I wear the chain I forged in life. I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and by my own free will I wore it." We choose what we will do with our life. Marley's chain is made of cash-boxes, keys, padlocks, ledgers, deeds, and heavy purses. He has to carry it always in the afterlife, and he is constantly haunted by his inability to go back. And his curse was that he lost the power to intervere in human matters or do good for others.

Scrooge got his chance to change before it was too late. The question is whether or not the reader will have a change of heart. Will I be like scrooge


or like Bob Cratchit?
Isn't Mickey the cutest?

1 comment:

Contreras Clan said...

I loved that book! We read it last year. I have all my evaluation paperwork if you get stuck ;) Now I am reading Romeo and Juliet, all the quotes of Shakespeare make a whole lot more sense now!

-David