Thursday, February 24, 2011

20 Weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have hit the halfway mark today! I can't believe how long she is now (according to this website). I don't think she is quite 10 inches, but hey what do I know?

How your baby's growing:

Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he's measured from head to toe.)

He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).

See what your baby looks like this week.

Note: Every baby develops a little differently — even in the womb. Our information is designed to give you a general idea of your baby's development.

How your life's changing:

Congratulations! You've hit the halfway mark in your pregnancy. The top of your uterus is about level with your belly button, and you've likely gained around 10 pounds. Expect to gain another pound or so each week from now on. (If you started your pregnancy underweight, you may need to gain a bit more; if you were overweight, perhaps a bit less.) Make sure you're getting enough iron, a mineral that's used primarily to make hemoglobin (the part of your red blood cells that carries oxygen). During pregnancy, your body needs more iron to keep up with your expanding blood volume, as well as for your growing baby and the placenta. Red meat is one of the best sources of iron for pregnant women. Poultry (especially the dark meat) and shellfish also contain iron. Some common non-meat sources of iron include legumes, soy-based products, spinach, prune juice, raisins, and iron-fortified cereals.


It's interesting that I have only been interested in red meat--I'm turned off by chicken and white meats. No weird cravings--just crave the usual foods as always. I would love some chocolate ice cream with reeses cup right now. For the most part I have been eating pretty healthy food, mostly because I have been buying groceries more often to save money. We hardly eat out, which I miss! Now for the gaining a pound a week--yikes. I still have 20 more weeks! How is that going to work out? A 20 lb baby?

I can't wait to hold her!


1 comment:

Chelsea Stewart said...

So exciting! I never craved weird foods either, I just liked the foods I always liked even more than usual. The weight gain was slow for me but sped up a little too much toward the end :) Have you read the break down of how much you gain in different areas? Like you gain 5 lbs of blood (crazy right?) etc. It's interesting. you can find it on baby center. Enjoy this time. Hope you can just relax and bond with your bump!